Check that all personal papers and documents are retained by yourself prior to putting your possessions into storage. Should you require access to your stored items, this can be arranged at a small cost. With regard to appliance items such as cookers, washing machines, fridges and/or fridge freezers – these should all be disconnected prior to the moving day. This can be arranged through our free phone number. Please confirm if you wish to book this service by going to our contacts page. Fridges and Freezers should be washed out with detergent to avoid unpleasant odours. They should be dried thoroughly.
Washing machines and dishwashers must be completely drained of surplus water. Damp, mildew and seizure of component parts can occur when these appliances are not used for a considerable length of time. Even when our own storage space is fully taken up, we do our very best to find you the best deal for your requirements.
Boxes should be filled to capacity to avoid them tipping or collapsing – use bubble wrap to fill gaps. Use smaller boxes for heavy items so that they are easy to lift.
- Individually wrap crockery, glasses and fragile items in bubble wrap before storing.
- Label or number your boxes – keeping an inventory of your items, for easy reference.
- Wrap pictures and mirrors individually in bubble wrap, mark them as fragile and stack on end.
- Drain freezers, refrigerators (wipe the inside surfaces with bicarbonate of soda) and washing machines prior to storage. Make sure you store these items with the door wedged open.
- Garden equipment should be cleaned and dry – wipe metal surfaces with WD40 or similar, and drain petrol and diesel from machinery, before storing.
- Ensure that no sharp edges protrude.
- Place a dust sheet on the floor of the room, put bulky or heavy items in first, stand sofas and mattresses on end, leaving an air gap between items, and do not stack or lean anything against walls.
- Remove legs from tables, wrap the top in blankets and stand on end, or lay them on blankets top down with legs pointing up. Stack chairs ‘seat to seat’.
- Lay dust sheets for protection over your goods and soft furnishings and do not place heavy items on sofas or mattresses.
- Maximise available space by stacking similar sized boxes together, items that you will need to get to frequently should be stored close to the door for easy access.
- Heavy equipment should be put on a pallet for easy removal.